8.10.2012

Ruby Red ~ Kerstin Gier


Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

☆☆☆

Alright so this isn’t my typical novel – like at all. But once again I got hooked by the gorgeous cover art. It is absolutely spectacular! So there were things that I loved about this novel and things that really irritated me. Let’s start with the positives… I have to say that I was intrigued with the idea of time travel and of course I love the idea of ancient secret societies. I thought that the characters were very well developed and there was a lot of intrigue … and there are still a lot of questions that have remained unanswered – hopefully they will be answered in the following two novels. If you are looking for a satisfying conclusion, you definitely won’t get one with this book.

So the biggest issue that I had with this novel was the main character Gwen. She is supposed to be 16 almost 17 but she sounds like she’s 12 going on 13. I was so irritated by her and her classmates – I definitely felt like I was back in middle school – not a good thing.

Overall it was a decent read – it literally took me a few hours to get through the book – it was fast-paced and entertaining however it was also extremely juvenile. I think that it would be a great read for those “tween” girls but as an adult who enjoys Y.A novels … it’s a little young. 

No comments:

Post a Comment